Monday, 14 January 2013

Harold Victor Ivall (1900-85), engineer

Harold Victor Ivall was a great grandson of David Ivall (1795-1850), the highly successful coach maker who was a brother and business partner of my ancestor Thomas Ivall (1781-1835). David left £5,000 (a substantial sum of money then) to each of his six children when he died. The youngest was Albert Ivall (1839-97), who apparently lost most of his inheritance between 1861 to 1871, when he was a farmer. He was declared bankrupt in 1875 following a court case brought against him by the Mayor and Corporation of Hastings (see my item on Albert’s life for more details). His eldest son was Albert Ivall junior (1862-1905), the father of Harold. This profile of Harold’s life contains information and photos supplied by one of his daughters.

In 1891, Albert Ivall junior married Clara Amelia Stock in Poplar, East London. They had six children, namely Mabel Edith (1892-1963), Ethel Clara (1893-1959), Albert Clifford and David William (twins born in 1896 who both died in 1897), Harold Victor (born 7th December 1900) and Albert Edward (1902-1987). Harold was born at 10 White Post Lane, Poplar, the address of a grocer’s shop run by his father. The site of this building (which no longer exists) was near Hackney Wick tube station, just to the west of the Olympic Park. Harold was baptised on January 6th 1901 at St Mark's Church, Victoria Park.

The 1901 census shows Albert Ivall (aged 39, a grocery and provision dealer), his wife Clara (33) and children Mabel (8), Ethel (7) and Harold (4 months) plus a domestic servant living at 10 White Post Lane.

Albert Ivall (Harold’s father) died in 1905 aged 43 of “phthisis”, another name for tuberculosis. His will left his entire estate (£608 net) to his wife, Clara. She managed to get Harold and Albert into an orphanage school at Wanstead, on the edge of Epping Forest. Entry was by election only. These were normally held in a tavern in Fleet Street or Ludgate Hill and at The London Tavern in Bishopsgate Street. The 1911 census shows Harold (aged 10) and Albert (8) at the school. It was renamed Royal Wanstead School in 1939 and closed in 1971. The school building is now Snaresbrook Crown Court.
Harold Victor Ivall in 1919 (aged 18)

Harold’s mother (Clara) moved to Sussex. Trade Directories for 1909, 1911 and 1913 list her under the heading “Apartments” and give her address as 29 Gensing Road, St Leonards, Hastings. In 1916 and 1920 she is listed as a dress maker at 100 Burford Road, Nottingham. Electoral registers for 1922 to 1924 show Harold and Clara living at 56 Noel Street, Nottingham.


Harold married Lily Elizabeth Richards at Hyson Green parish church, Nottingham on August 2nd 1924. The marriage certificate says that he was aged 23, an engineer’s turner, living at 56 Noel Street, Nottingham. She was aged 22, a daughter of Arthur Richards, a miner. Harold and Lily set up home at 160 Vernon Road, Nottingham and their first daughter, Beryl was born in 1926. In 1927 they moved to 164 Vernon Road, where they lived until 1931, when they moved to 422 Perry Road, Nottingham.
Lily Elizabeth Ivall nee Richards

The depression in the 1930s meant that Harold was out of work.  He and his wife, Lily, moved to Leicester where they ran a fish & chip shop, which was very successful.

Later in the 1930s Harold & Lily returned to Nottingham, where Harold went back into engineering. Their second daughter was born in 1934. Lily opened a millinery business (she was a trained milliner). The business did well and she ran it until they both retired. A 1941 directory has an entry for Mrs Lily Ivall, milliner, 28 Alfreton Road, Nottingham.

The 1939 national register shows Harold (a lathe turner), Lily (a milliner) and Beryl (at school) living at Avondale Road in Carlton, a district of Nottingham. 

Sadly Harold's eldest daughter Beryl died of toxaemia (blood poisoning caused by bacterial toxic substances) in 1942 aged 15. Harold's mother died in 1947 aged 79 in Nottingham.
Lily and Harold Ivall in 1955 at their second daughter's wedding

Harold was keen on sport. In his younger days he was very good at cricket. He also liked football, and on Saturdays went to Nottingham Forest one week and Notts County the next. His other hobby was fishing and he was a member of Nottingham Anglers, where he enjoyed the companionship and competition. According to his son-in-law, Harold had a very cheerful personality. He was a 'people person' with a good sense of humour. He enjoyed 'banter', especially with his brother Albert.

In 1963 Harold and Lily had a bungalow built in Fiskerton, Nottinghamshire in which they enjoyed their retirement. Harold’s wife Lily passed away in 1973 aged 71. After she died, Harold bought a flat at 114 Westdale Lane, Gedling (near Nottingham) to be nearer to his family He died on May 25th 1985 aged 84 in Nottingham. Lily, Harold and their daughter Beryl are buried in a grave in Northern Cemetery (Bulwell), Nottingham.
Harold's grave 

No comments: