Friday 16 August 2024

Margaret Ivola Bymoen nee Ivall (1919-2020)

 In 1983, Margaret wrote an excellent book detailing the history of and people in the Ivall family in Canada. It records that they are descended from Alexander “Sandy” Ivall (1831-1911), who emigrated from Scotland to Canada in about 1836. He married Jane Kerr and they had ten children. His sixth child, William Ivall (1860-1940) married Margaret Hawley (1856-1913). Their third child was Edward Leslie Ivall (1890-1987) who married Rea Helen Ratcliff (1902-1985) in 1918. These were Margaret’s parents – she was born on 31 May 1919.

When written, Margaret’s book was a comprehensive listing of the descendants of Alexander Ivall, with family history information about them. It is a notable achievement.

Margaret married Clarence Gerhard Bymoen (born 20 September 1912) on 2 January 1941. This is what Margaret says about herself in her book:

“I am the first daughter of Edward Ivall and Rea Ratcliff. I was born on the farm home at Vesper, Sask. I finished my high school in Swift Current, Sask., in 1938-1939 I took my teacher training at the Moose Jaw Normal School. I love music, played the violin, accordion and organ a bit and have tried my hand at painting. We farmed at Simmie, Sask, 40 miles south of Swift Current, we then sold and eventually bought 11 miles north of Swift Current where my son Terry now farms.

While living in Swift Current I was active on United Church committees, Hospital Board, Pioneer Lodge Board also Hospital Auxiliary. I had a heart attack which caused me to curtail my activities. I enjoy duplicate bridge and Lois (Margaret’s sister) and I attend duplicate bridge tournaments, playing as partners. At present I am chairman of the local Genealogical Society. Clarence and I had six children.”

Clarence died 8 October 1971, aged 59.

“In 1977 I married Walter Penner a retired Superintendent for Patterson Grain Elevators. We go to Mesa, Arizona each winter for three months. Walter has become a bridge player as well and we play in competition.”

Margaret died on 26 April 2020, aged 100. She is buried in the same grave as her husband Clarence in Mount Pleasant Burial Park, Swift Current. The website Find a Grave has memorial to her https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/209523788/margaret_bymoen. It has pictures of Margaret and her grave.

No comments: